The word “cheap” gets a bad rap in our modern culture. If something is labeled cheap, then it isn’t expected to be fun or exciting. I want to try to change the conversation when it comes to “cheap dates.” Sometimes, we just need a cheap date.
There are many reasons behind the decision to have a cheap date.
- Maybe there is truly no money in the budget, but you are committed to spending time one-on-one together.
- Maybe you don’t have time to plan anything elaborate and have to just do date night spur of the moment.
- Maybe you only have 30 or 45 minutes to yourselves, so the date has to be easy and quick.
If our marriages are going to be grace-filled like they should, we'll have seasons where we simply need to spend time intentionally connecting as husband and wife.
Here are some “cheap” date ideas categorized by preference:
For the outdoorsy type:
- Enjoy a hike on a local nature trail.
- Depending on the season, you could take a drive to see changing leaves or snowy mountains or sunny beaches or blooming flowers.
- Head to a local lake and spend some time sitting on the shoreline together or feeding the ducks.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset from the best spot in town.
- Pack a picnic of food you already have at home and take it to the park to enjoy together.
For the romantic type:
- Grab coffee at a local coffee shop and take a walk together through downtown. Do some window shopping while holding hands.
- Stargaze from your own backyard. Lay a blanket down and look up together.
- Spend a night reliving your past together by watching old home videos or looking through past pictures. Retell the story of how you fell in love.
- Throw a bag of popcorn in the microwave and find a good romantic comedy on your favorite streaming site instead of the theater.
For the foodie:
- Cook a fancy dinner together at home. Try some new recipes.
- Eat takeout on the floor with candlelight. Wait for the kids to go to bed for time to yourselves.
- Make special drinks and a cheese board together. Sit on the front or back porch to enjoy good conversation alone.
- Grab dessert only from your favorite restaurant to eat together at home or in the car.
For the active type:
- Take a bike ride together somewhere special.
- Go for a run or walk together in your neighborhood.
- Go bowling. Find a night at your local lanes that are half off or discounted.
For the musical type:
- Take turns picking some of your favorite songs from the past. Listen together and talk about the memories attached to some of the songs you choose.
- Head to a concert in the park. Sometimes they are free in certain areas!
- Sing karaoke. Nothing brings you closer than being embarrassed together.
For the competitive type:
- Head to a local high school or college sports game. They can be just as exciting as professional sports for a fraction of the price.
- Play a few board games together at home.
- Get dressed up and see who can plan the best date for under $30.
Here's the point: none of the ideas on this list are boring or lame. And, they could all be as fun and exciting as spending lots of money on a night out. The true goal of date night is spending quality time together with your spouse. It doesn’t cost a lot of money to pour into one another and enjoy each other’s company. Let’s make “cheap” date nights the new, cool way to do it!